5. 12. 2018 – 31. 3. 2019
The second half of the 19th century, especially its last third, was the period of exceptional urban, architectonic, and technical upswing of Prague; it was the crucial stage of its transformation from a provincial town of Austro-Hungary into a busy and bustling metropolis of the newly awakened nation abounding with confidence as well as cultural and economic strength. After all, the number of inhabitants of Prague and its suburbs nearly doubled after the mid-19th century, reaching two hundred thousand. The population growth and economic boom necessitated the construction of new bridges, roads, modern street transport, railways, and railway stations.
The need to educate the increasingly growing population required the construction of elementary and secondary schools as well as universities. As a result of the increasing national confidence, fellowships, Sokol gyms, and burgher’s clubs were built as well as town halls, financial institutions, and banks. The gradual transformation of the relation towards architectural monuments of the past was also reflected in the national self-awareness. The erection of the National Theatre, National Museum, and other cultural institutions symbolised the nation’s cultural strength while the General Land Centennial Exhibition in 1891 was the symbol of increasing economic power. The Golden Prague exhibition seeks to introduce readers to Prague during the 1860s–1880s, familiarising them with its transformation as depicted in illustrations and texts of Czech picture magazines Zlatá Praha (Golden Prague), Květy, and Světozor of that time. A publication of the same name will be published with the exhibition.